In a recent blog, we discussed the future of the filtration market and what it means for filter manufacturers. These changes and challenges within the market include the fracking boom, automotive weight reduction, increased environmental regulations and water scarcity.
Now, let’s take a look at adhesives’ role in the filtration market, the applications, technologies and products that can help manufacturers meet these changes and challenges.
How Adhesives are Used in Filters:
Adhesives are used to construct the final assembly in air, oil, water and HVAC filters. They laminate multiple layers of media together, improving the filter’s efficiency. Filter adhesives are selected based on the following criteria:
- Substrate type
- Fluid being filtered (hot air, fuels, lubricants, etc.)
- Service temperature range
- Adhesive application method
Key Applications for Filter Adhesives:
Filter adhesives can be used in several applications including:
- Pleating/Stabilization: Adhesives keep the pleats separated to ensure uniform flow of the fluid and maximize efficiency and capacity. Spiral beads of adhesives are applied to stabilize the media during use.
- Frame Assembly/End Cap Bonding: Adhesives are used to bond the filter media to the frame assembly. This includes:
- Metal or nylon end caps for oil, fuel and water filters
- Plastic or metal frames for high efficiency air filters
- Cardboard frame for HVAC filters
- Gasketing: Adhesives are used to bond rubber gaskets to the end caps, or a foam-in-place adhesive can be the gasket itself. A recent blog discusses foam-in-place gasketing and sealing.
Adhesive Technologies for Filter Applications:
The chart below outlines the range of Bostik’s adhesive technologies used in various filter applications:
HM4199LV-JV: This product is a very fast setting polyester adhesive for air filter applications. It is a hot melt that offers a SAFT heat resistance to 170°C and limited flexibility.
HM4228SLV-P42P: This polyamide adhesive for hot air and oil filters has excellent chemical and heat resistance. At 185°C, this product has an extremely high melt point for use in high temperature filtration applications.
HM0130-GP: This hot melt EVA for water filters has a low melt viscosity and good adhesion to glass, ceramic, metal and materials. It also has been successfully used in applications that require NSF/ANSI 42 and 43 for Drinking Water Units.
M2751-P08: This cost effective, general purpose, hot melt polyolefin adhesive is used for pleat separation in HVAC filters.