Manufacturers in the automotive, electronics, construction and appliances markets often use gaskets to provide a tight seal between two surfaces to prevent leakage. These gaskets serve as a complete barrier and have gap-filling properties.
Rather than manually applying gaskets to seal two surfaces, manufacturers can use a foam-in-place gasketing and sealing system to automate the process.
What is Foam-in-Place Gasketing and Sealing?
Foam-in-place gasketing and sealing is an adhesive dispensing equipment system that works well in a range of applications. Some of these include:
- Automotive: door handles, audio systems and filters
- Electronics: dust sealing and cushioning applications
- Construction: window and door and HVAC
- Appliance: insulation assemblies and general purpose
What Benefits Does Foam-in-Place Gasketing and Sealing Offer?
Manufacturers reported that the foam-in-place gasketing and sealing system enabled them to:
- Reduce direct labor costs by around 80% and indirect by upwards of 50%
- Eliminate scrap and rework by about 50%
- Reduce in-process inventory by as much as 35%
- Reduce material costs by close to 25%
- Eliminate warranty and field service by about 15%*
What Factors Need to Be Considered When Choosing a Foam-in-Place System?
Before choosing a foam-in-place system, you must consider the following:
- Type of bond required
- Non-skid (high coefficient of friction)
- Materials to be bonded
- Helps determine the appropriate type of adhesive technology
- Dispensing equipment
- Automation selection and peripheral equipment
Types of Adhesive Technologies for Foam-in-Place Gasketing and Sealing:
Bostik offers a range of adhesive products designed specifically for foam-in-place gasketing and sealing systems. They include:
- Hot melt thermoplastic sealers
- Single-component polyurethanes
- Silyl-modified polymers
While the technologies vary, all of Bostik’s foam-in-place adhesives enable the gasket to be built exactly in the place desired. As a result, there is no waste and lower cost in use. These adhesives also offer customized foam density and bead dimensions.
For more information about foam-in-place gasketing and sealing, call 800-7-BOSTIK.
*Actual results may vary depending on the specifics of materials and application. Consult a Bostik representative for further information.