According to Markets and Markets, low volatile organic compound (VOC) adhesives are expected to reach $55.29 billion by 2022. Growing at a CAGR of 5.9%, gain insight into the dynamics of the low VOC adhesive market.
Top Low VOC Adhesive Technologies
The low VOC adhesive market is comprised of adhesives that offer little to no off-gassing. This means that their formulations are designed to limit the amount of chemicals released into the air during application or use. Types of low VOC adhesive technologies include:
- Water-based: Manufactured from natural or synthetic soluble polymers, these adhesives are activated as water evaporates or is absorbed by the substrate.
- Hot melt: Hot melt adhesives cure as heat dissipates and are ideal for difficult and non-porous substrates.
- Reactive: Commonly made out of monomers and initiators, reactive adhesives are typically known for forming permanent bonds.
Water-based adhesives in particular are slated to dominate the market from now through 2022. This is due to their:
- Excellent shear strength
- Ease of use
Leading Low VOC Adhesive Chemistry
In addition to being categorized by technology, low VOC adhesives are comprised of different types of chemistries. PVA (polyvinyl acetate) in particular is an increasingly popular chemistry choice. Widely used as a synthetic resin in adhesive formulation, this chemistry is environmentally friendly and exhibits excellent adhesion to many substrates. Due to its high performance and versatility, it has become the leading adhesive chemistry used in low VOC adhesive formulations.
PVA works well in a variety of applications, such as:
- Automotive upholstery
Most Dominant Low VOC Adhesive Market
While environmentally friendly, sustainable products are of increasing importance in many markets, transportation is slated to be the leading user of low VOC adhesives in upcoming years. This is due to the following reasons:
- Governmental regulations to improve passenger air quality
- Stringent automotive OEM standards to use low VOC products
- Rising use of adhesives to bond thinner gauge metals and plastics
Top Growing Low VOC Adhesive Region
As economies continue to develop, the Asia-Pacific region is expected to make the most gains in low VOC adhesive use. As growing nations, countries like China, India and South Korea, are increasing their infrastructure and end-use industries. This means that adhesives are rising in both demand and use.
As a global adhesive supplier, Bostik has the capability to meet customers’ low VOC adhesive needs worldwide. For more information on these smart adhesives that make products faster, stronger, safer and more efficient, call 800-7-BOSTIK, or visit www.bostik.com/us.