Environmental regulations continue to increase, spurring the growth and development of solvent-free adhesives. As cited in Food and Beverage News, these new adhesives are changing the flexible packaging industry. Let’s take a look at how:
What are Solvent-Free Adhesives?
Adhesives are deemed solvent-free if they contain no more than 5% solvent in their formulations. They offer the following advantages:
- Reduced health risks
- Improved environmental footprint
- Flexible processing time
- High initial strength
Two Main Types of Solvent-Free Adhesives Include:
- Water-based adhesives: the largest group of solvent-free technologies
- Tend to have higher surface energies than solvent-based adhesives
- Improve adhesive properties for a given application
- Hot melt adhesives: the fastest growing class of solvent-free technologies
- Offer versatility and good cost in use
- Have a rapid set time
How Solvent-Free Adhesives Benefit Flexible Packaging:
The Adhesive and Sealant Council cites the solvent-free adhesives have impacted the flexible packaging market in the following ways:
- Packages made with these adhesives are often lighter and take up less shelf space for display, storage and shipping.
- Solvent-free adhesives provide good clarity, temperature resistance and a humidity barrier.
- They are used to join layers of film, foils or paper in high-performance packaging.
Bostik offers solvent-free adhesive products for the flexible packaging market. These adhesives are:
- Environmentally friendly
- Low cost for production at high speed
- In accordance with the latest food regulations
Bostik’s solvent-free adhesives are perfect for general purpose applications, like film-to-film and film-to-metallized film for candy, salty snacks, bakery, meat and cheese packaging.
To learn more about our solvent-free adhesives, including our M-resins and JB-water based products, call 800-7-BOSTIK.