Depending on the construction sealant and particular substrate, a primer may be required for an application. The tips below outline what to consider when it comes to construction primers.
Prior to using a construction primer, note:
- Primer Parameters
It’s important to understand that not all primers have the same directions. Some may require an hour to dry before applying the sealant. Others may still be tacky when the sealant is applied.
- Primer Sensitivity
Be aware that primers and their applications are sensitive. The following items can contribute to sealant failure:
- Primer contamination from moisture and/or debris
- Over or under application
- Untimely application of the sealant
When using a construction primer:
- Mask off the joint edges to prevent over application of the primer onto adjacent surfaces.
- Apply a thin film of primer to the joint surface with either a natural bristle brush, a clean, lint-free cloth or other approved wiping materials. Be sure to not puddle the primer in or on the substrates.
- Follow the manufacturer’s directions concerning the drying time of the primer.
- Ensure no sparks or flames are near the primer.
Smart Primers for a Smart Job
Bostik manufactures smart construction primers that work well with sealants and help improve projects overall. One primer in particular is used in our PanelTack HM panelization system. As part of this three-pronged system used in constructing panelization systems, the primer:
- Treats the joining of surfaces to optimize adhesion and promote long term performance
- Is applied to the panel and the studding (wood or metal) in which the panel is attached
Also included in our PanelTack HM system are a double sided tape and elastic bonding adhesive.
For more information on quality construction primers than help improve projects overall, call 800-7-BOSTIK, or visit www.bostik.com/us.