Expected to reach $10.03 billion by 2021, the smart labels market is comprised of several types of technologies, including RFID (radio frequency identification) labels. As a preferred type of smart label, RFIDs are predicted to see the most traction during the forecast period.
Gain insight into current applications, the direction they’re heading and adhesive use in their manufacturing.
RFID Label Applications
Coming in a variety of shapes and sizes, RFID labels are typically used in the retail, healthcare and automotive sectors. Programmed with information, these labels are important in synchronizing processes and are used in various applications, such as:
- Retail inventory control
- Tool and equipment tracking
- Building access control
- Information tags
- Bank cards
- Smart home devices
As a result, RFIDS have aided in improved supply chain quality, reduced error and increased efficiency.
Future for RFID Labels
With their growth and technological development, RFID labels will continue to gain traction. As a result, they are likely to see the following changes:
- Thinner construction: The goal for RFID is to become thinner and more flexible for its applications.
- New materials: Allowing for even smaller scale technology, new types of materials, such as nano-metal material, are being created.
- Printed electronics: It’s likely that RFID labels will be produced using printed electronics, as they offer the ability to print in mass for less cost.
- Visual tagging: Visuals (graphics and instructions) will need to accompany RFID labels as more manufacturing process control applications turn to RFIDs. These labels will be able to communicate with passive, battery-assisted passive and active tags.
Adhesives for RFID Labels
With RFID labels crucial to supply chain and information management, adhesives play an important role in their ability to perform successfully. Pressure sensitive adhesives are one type in particular used to create certain RFID labels’ backing and enable RFIDs to be easily placed and removed from an item.
These adhesives must be able to withstand application requirements to avoid label failure. As a result, it’s important to partner with Bostik. An industrial adhesive specialist for over 125 years, our hot melt pressure sensitive adhesives are ideal for RFID labels. In addition to performing under stringent criteria, they offer anti-corrosive properties, making them ideal for RFID label needs.
For more information on how Bostik’s pressure sensitive adhesives for RFID labels, call 800-7-BOSTIK, or visit www.bostik.com/us.